watermelon, red onion and feta salad

wonderful watermelon!
I have a friend who is frankly a bit demented about watermelon. This seems a bit strange really but she's a bit like a cat with catnip. The taste of watermelon has really passed me by. Frankly I always thought the flavour was a little insipid, although as a child I was intrigued by its vibrant colour and curious texture combined with the concentration needed in pulling out the pips.

However, combining watermelon with the robust, zingy flavours of  black olives, chilli and mint, I am prepared to admit I was completely wrong!

Serves 4
Skill level: Easy

ingredients:
600g watermelon (weight before peeling)
1 x small red onion, cut into very fine slices (I tend to quarter the slices)
16 x black olives in oil (preferably kalamata), halved (and pitted if necessary)
1 x red chilli, halved, deseeded and very finely sliced
40g fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
2 tbs olive oil (plus more for drizzling)
3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
150g feta cheese
salt and freshly ground black pepper

directions:
  1. Peel the melon of its tough rind, Remove the seeds and cube the watermelon flesh into chunks.
  2. Combine the melon with the red onion, black olives, chilli, mint, olive oil and lemon juice.
  3. Divide the salad amongst 4 plates and crumble the feta cheese over.
  4. Season to taste and add a drizzle of olive oil.

3 comments:

o cozinheiro este algarve said...

The combination of watermelon and feta I adore.I cube the watermelon,then with a melon baller remove a scoop of melon from the top of each cube. Place a slightly smaller cube of Feta in the hollow of each cube. Mix together chopped black olives thyme parsley and sumac and sprinkle it over the watermelon and cheese. I surprisingly refreshing and unusual tapas item or starter.
I must blog this one with all this wonderful watermelon about.

Marmaduke Scarlet said...

This sounds absolutely delicious. I wish I had heard of this yesterday as I had a tapas supper and that would have really wowed my friends! (Not that I am shallow or anything!)

plasterer bristol said...

Hmm this look delicious, thanks for posting up this recipe, looks quite simple to make.


Simon