|indian spiced potato cutlets (aloo tikki)|
|ash-e-reshteh - persian bean and noodle soup|
|Indonesian seafood sate lilit|
|spring garlic and the green shoots of recovery!|
Which might be a strange thing to say if you hadn't noticed I'd gone. Well, I won't bore you with my tales of woe. I had bit of an accident and I've been recovering. Frankly, I hadn't been doing much cooking either, but now I want to get back in the food saddle and start blogging again. Yippeeaiyay!
|Christmas mincemeat 2014|
|middle eastern arayes (meat stuffed pitta sandwich)|
I served mine with some Turkish pickled chillies (you know the sort you get in a kebab shop), and some coriander chutney. Admittedly that isn't traditional, but it's what I had in the fridge and it worked really well. Hummus would be perfect too.
Skill level: Easy
500g minced lamb or kid goat
1 medium onion, very finely chopped
3 tsp Lebanese 7-spice mix (or 1.5 tsp ground cinnamon, 1 tsp ground allspice and half tsp ground black pepper)
half tsp salt
a small bunch of fresh parsley, finely chopped
10-12 baby plum tomatoes, finely chopped
sumac or fresh lemon juice
5-6 pitta breads
- Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas Mark 4.
- Finely chop the onion and combine with minced lamb, together with the ground spices, salt and chopped parsley. Make sure the mix is well-combined.
- Cut each pitta, either in half or along the long side. Using a very sharp knife, carefully slice the bread part of the way through to "open" it up. This is easier if the pitta bread has been warmed in the oven first as it will puff up a little.
- Spread each piece of pitta with about 2 tablespoons of mixture. Sprinkle with a little cayenne pepper and sumac (or lemon juice) and top with a little chopped tomato. Fold back the top part of the pitta and lightly press down.
- Lightly brush both sides of the pitta bread with olive oil.
- Place the stuffed pitta (arayes) on a prepared baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, before turning over and cooking for a further 10 to 15 minutes.
- I like to serve mine with pickled green chillies and olives, but some herbed plain yoghurt and a squeeze of lemon juice is pretty good too.
|wood blewits (clitocybe nuda/lepista nuda)|
Labels: Fruit and Vegetables
|poffertjes (Dutch buckwheat pancakes|
|delicata squash stuffed with tomato and mince sauce|