socca (chickpea flour pancakes)

socca (chickpea flour pancakes)
I've been "socca'ing" a lot recently. But before you roll your eyes and wince at the idea of me shimmying around the kitchen in sequins and a few gently swaying ostrich feathers in best Brazilian stylee, I should add that all I am actually doing is making a load of socca - Provençal chickpea flour pancakes, a popular Nicoise streetfood, where they are cooked in huge flat pans, the size of small cartwheels. You'll also find them just across the French border, in the Italian region of Liguria, where they are known as farinata.

Cut the socca into strips or wedges and they are incredibly moreish party nibbles. Use them as a base for simple toppings and you have a delicious gluten-free pizza or bruschetta.

Makes 2 omelette-sized pancakes
Skill level: Easy

ingredients:

1 cup chickpea flour
1 cup water
1 tsp salt
2-3 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for cooking
1 tsp dried chilli flakes
half tsp dried rosemary, crushed

directions:

  1. Combine chickpea flour and salt. Slowly whisk in water until a smooth batter forms. Set aside for about 1 hour to rest.
  2. Pre-heat the oven to 200C / Gas Mark 6.
  3. Add 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil, the chilli flakes and rosemary. Stir to combine.
  4. Add about 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil to an ovenproof frying pan. (I only used 1 tablespoon as was using a small omelette pan.) Swirl it around so as much of the surface is covered in a light film of oil.
  5. When the oil is sizzling hot, ladle in the batter. (As I was using a small pan, I was able to use just over 1 ladle full of batter for my pancake, which equated to half the batter.)
  6. Immediately place in the oven and cook for 15 minutes until beginning to brown and crisp at the edges. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool for about 5 minutes, before cutting into wedges.
tip:

  • If using as a pizza base, I remove the pancake from the oven about 12 minutes before the end of cooking. Top with my favourite toppings and return to the oven for about 4 to 5 minutes.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Rachel, I haven't been to your site for AGES, though I have read every word of your Guardian series and love it, such a good idea! Thanks for this recipe - I've always wanted to make these after eating them years ago in Nice. They were accompanied by a lot of pastis and a very complicated conversation involving "les All Blacks" with a very tipsy Frenchman. Sigh, those were the days... Anyway, I'll have a go at making these, then try the pizza version. Thanks again, Lucy