nature's bounty: wild leek and chilli sauce

wild leek and chilli sauce
In harvesting my back garden of a non-native invader, I am ridding the neighbourhood of something that some of my neighbours regard as an annoying little pest and I have a rather lovely mild garlic taste of spring to enjoy. I am talking about the wild three-cornered leeks (allium triquetrum) that have covered a swathe of my garden yet again (this was despite digging them up last spring, although admittedly my attempts were a little half-hearted).

I have already made a wild leek pesto this year. But I wanted to have something that was simpler, without cheese that I could use to marinade meat and fish. A simple combination of merely wild leek leaves, chillies and chillies was something of a winner.


Of course, it works beautifully with pasta as well as a topping for meat and fish. I have also stirred it into creamy yoghurt as a dressing for some rather wonderful langoustines too.

ingredients:
200g leek garlic leaves, washed and dried in a clean tea-towel, roughly chopped
chillies, to taste (I used 1 red chilli and 2 green chillies) deseeded and roughly chopped
200ml olive oil
1-2 tsp salt

directions:

  1. Tip the wild leek leaves, chopped chillies with the olive oil into a blender and whizz up until well combined (or as smooth as you like). Season to taste.
  2. The sauce will keep in well in sterilised jars for up to 6 months or in the fridge for one month.


4 comments:

Unknown said...

I can totally imagine this on a steaming bowl of pasta... I need to hunt me down some wild leek!

Marmaduke Scarlet said...

Dom - if you're in London over the next few weeks, let me know before you set off home and I can meet you with a large armful of the stuff!

Unknown said...

Er, I know this is a bit cheeky, but I am in Hackney and happy to come to north London if you have any spare? ;)

Petra said...

it sounds delicious! wish we had some nearby!