love your leftovers! spaghetti frittata

spaghetti frittata
There are two insights I have always wanted from Italian cooks. The first is, is there a special gadget (other than elbow grease) to remove baked on mozzarella cheese - you know those times when the lasagne dish looks like a relief map of the Moon with cheesy encrustations) and the second is, what do Italians do with leftover pasta?

I am yet to find the magic de-cheeser (and if anyone knows of one, please let me know), but I have discovered that Italians, being a thrifty bunch, have a fabulous way of using up leftover pasta by using it in frittatas including a little leftover sauce too.


One morning I decided to use up some leftover spag bol and made enough for my then boyfriend, who was still asleep. When I woke him up, he looked at me suspiciously. "What is this? It looks like something you'd make in a primary school craft lesson. Is it a coffee coaster? Jewellery?"

"It is not a macaroni necklace as a token of my affection," I replied huffily, "although I am sure I can spray it in edible pink glitter if you would prefer. It's breakfast, although in your case, you lazy oaf, it is lunch".

And then I started channelling my mother . . . "And if you don't like it you don't have to eat it, but I am not making anything else." I stalked off as the lazy oaf gazed blearily at me.

Jo Brand used to say that a way to a man's heart was through his chest with an ice pick - I'm guessing that she had the same kind of luck with men that I have had! Needless to say the relationship with the lazy oaf did not survive, but my love of spaghetti frittatas continues.


Serves 3-4

Skill level: Easy

ingredients:

200g cooked spaghetti (or other pasta)
pasta sauce
2 eggs, beaten
25g Parmesan or Pecorino cheese, grated
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp olive oil
a small knob of butter
fresh parsley, finely chopped (to serve)

directions:

  1. Mix the cooked pasta with a little of the pasta sauce. You only need enough sauce to coat the pasta; otherwise it will be too runny when you add the egg. Then add the egg and cheese and season salt and pepper and ensure that the ingredients are well mixed.
  2. Heat the oil and butter in an omelette pan and pour in the omelette mixture. Press down with the back of a wooden spoon to create a flat cake. Fry on each side for about 4 to 5 minutes, or until golden brown. So when the first side is cooked, flip onto a plate and then slide back into the pan. Continue cooking until done.
  3. Serve immediately, sprinkled with a little chopped parsley.

tip:

  • This is such a forgiving recipe. You can add vegetables such as halved cherry tomatoes or even frozen peas.

Since this is such a thrifty dish and a delicious way of using up leftovers, I am entering this into the Credit Crunch Munch challenge hosted by Camilla at Fab Food 4 All and Helen at Fuss Free Flavours. They are sharing how we can enjoy great food, but still spend less or save some money. Using up the sort of leftovers that usually gets binned, and turning it into something you actually look forward to makes a great credit crunch munch! 

6 comments:

Camilla @FabFood4All said...

Ooh I love this and can't wait to try it. There's nothing better than a tasty, quick and frugal dish - ticks all the boxes! Well done on a truly Credit Crunch Munch dish:-)

Marmaduke Scarlet said...

It's lovely to be a part of such a creative challenge. I need to do the blog hop thing but can't quite work it out!

Petra said...

This looks amazing. I would never have thought of it, what a clever idea and great use of left overs!

Fuss Free Helen said...

Lovely! I used to do this with pasta shapes, but have not done so for years. I love an adaptable recipe!

Thank you so much for sending to Credit Crunch Munch!

Anonymous said...

I'd love to try this, but in our house it's impossible to cook too much pasta to have any leftovers to use.

My son is a 19 year old pasta hoover.

Fran

HB said...

Amazing!

I might have to do my own version of this (giving you credit of course) spaghetti frittata looks like heaven.

I always get so excited about eating spaghetti and meatballs in tomato sauce the next day, when it's gone cold and dense in the fridge. This could be a new food fetish.

Hope you are well, take care xs