the magic is as wide as a smile . . . thank you!

Creating this blog is something that has brought me immense amounts of pleasure. I love to write and to try to express myself. Cooking and developing recipes seems to be a simple, solitary activity that I would quite happily take to my Desert Island, so long as there were things to cook. I have really enjoyed this year learning to take photographs. I may very well be a slow learner, but I think I am making progress, even if it is at a snail's pace.

I never expected that I would have so many readers and I have to say that is an unexpected delight. I hope you won't mind me saying this . . . I did this for me not for you. But the fact that you seem to enjoy what I do is really quite exhilarating.

I love the fact that people comment on my blog or email me. I do this too (not to myself obviously as that would just be a bit odd!) I very much enjoy reading other blogs, from people around the world. I love reading about their passions and quirks; their successes and disasters. Although in the past I didn't often comment on these blogs, I just thought good thoughts.

Now that I have realised how lovely it is receive as well as to give comments, I have amended my ways and try to comment when possible on other blogs. But I definitely do adore getting comments over here. (By the way, this is not a dig at those who don't comment - I know some people are just shy!)

Over the last year I also feel as if I have really got to know people out in the Internet ether that it is highly likely that I wouldn't have before. I have made new friends, which is lovely. (I am sitting here, grinning to myself as I write).

I had been away for a few days without Internet access. Can I tell you what a fabulous moment it was when I discovered that Rupert at o cozinheiro est algarve had loved one of my recipes so much that he had cooked it himself. (Even better, for me, that it actually worked. You have no idea how much I worry that I have missed something out, or given the wrong measurements!) He wrote about this on his own website. I have to say I felt a little choked up. It was such a sweet thing to do!

Having this blog is absolute magic - not in a Tinkerbell, fairy dust sort of way, but in the way it makes me so very happy. Having new and kind friends means that I really can't stop smiling.

I just wanted to say thank you.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

isn't it wonderful when someone cooks your recipes... I wrote about just this on Sunday... blogging can be so rewarding!

Unknown said...

I relate to this completely Rachel, blogging has brought me more pleasure than I ever thought it would, there's a whole world out there...I love the research, the cooking, the writing, the feedback...and your blog!
Carry on...

o cozinheiro este algarve said...

Never was a truer word written.My sentiments exactly and I am sure those of many others.It is great when one gets positive feedback, I wish more readers would be more forward in this respect.I have tried to write interactive blogs, where I ask the readers questions, for example what they might like me to write about but more often than not there is zilch response.I love it and especially your lovely blog Rachel xxx I have just eaten the last slice of your Seville orange cake-It didn´t last long!!!!!!

Marmaduke Scarlet said...

Dom - it is absolutely fabulous. And btw my next baking mission is to try your English muffins. They look gorgeous!

Marmaduke Scarlet said...

Liz - thank god for the Internet, eh! Blogging is so much fun. And BTW the feeling is mutual. I so look forward to your posts :)

Maggie said...

Keep on blogging! It's great to see you back and thriving in the blogosphere again.