|lemon and garlic roast leg of lamb|
I served mine with a twist on stuffing, feta and sun-dried tomato bread pudding, roasted sweet peppers and a tomato and mint sauce. There were roast potatoes too. That's the Sunday lunch law!
Serves 6 to 8
Skill level: Easy
1 x 2k boned leg of lamb, butterflied
6 tbsp olive oil
juice of 2 x lemons (reserve the shells)
3 x garlic cloves, very finely chopped
2 tbsp fresh oregano leaves
- Put the marinade together by combining all the ingredients. Don't forget this great tip on how to get more lemon juice from your lemon.
- Massage the lamb well on all sides with the marinade, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Before cooking, brush off the excess marinade, particularly if cooking on the barbecue. Bring the meat back to room temperature. Cut the lemon shells into pieces and throw them in with the lamb.
- If roasting in the oven, preheat to 200C / Gas Mark 6. Cook for 20 minutes per 500g, plus 25 minutes and 15 minutes resting time. I like my lamb slightly pink, but if you prefer it well done, then cook for longer.
- After 25 minutes, turn the heat down to 180C / Gas Mark 4 and continue with cooking, basting with excess marinade occasionally. You may need to cover the lamb with a little foil to prevent burning.