|roasted sweet pepper salad|
Skill level: Easy
a mixture of peppers - red, green, orange and yellow
fresh flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1-2 x garlic cloves, very finely chopped
salt and freshly ground pepper
- Cut away as much of the pepper from its stem as possible. Cut the peppers into large pieces and de-seed.
- Place under a medium to low pre-heated grill and grill until the skins begin to darken and blister and the flesh softens.
- Once the peppers are cool enough to handle, peel off the skin and cut the pepper into strips.
- Place the peppers in a serving bowl and make the dressing.
- Combine all the dressing ingredients and season to taste.
- Pour the dressing over the peppers and toss gently.
- Sprinkle over a little chopped fresh parsley.
- Best served at room temperature.
- Instead of grilling the peppers, you can easily roast them in the oven for about 30 minutes.
- To ease the skins off the peppers, place in a sealed plastic bag to cool. The peppers continue to steam in the residual cooking heat and it is easier to peel them.
- Other good things to add to the dressing include extra sharpness with a little extra lime or orange juice, pomegranate molasses or wine vinegar.
- Dried mint or dill or extra fresh coriander or parsley make a great addition to the dressing.
- Good spices to add are ground cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper or cinnamon. A small dollop of harissa paste is good too.