a guilty pleasure . . . the noodles in my chicken noodle soup!

chicken noodle soup
I posted a recipe for a Thai hot and sour soup recipe a few days ago. It's something I make often. No shame in that. But I do have a guilty pleasure. It is so bad, that when I confessed it to Nephew Number 2, he appeared as shocked to the core as the average eleven year old can be. Although he admitted it was funny, he was more incensed at the injustice of it all. How come I can get away with it and he can't? I suggested he learn to cook . 


So here it is . . . when I make this soup, I like to use udon noodles. Nothing wrong with that and any other fat noodle will do. However, completely by accident (another case of serendipity in my kitchen, or so I like to think), I disovered that bucatini pasta works just as well.


Bucatini pasta is one of my favourite types of pasta. It is a sort of fat spaghetti which has been hollowed out; there is a hole running through the entire length.

Can you see where I am going with this? It's a bit like the scene in Lady and the Tramp, where the two love-struck dogs are sharing a plate of pasta. Except that there is just me, savouring the absolute childish pleasure of eating a big bowl of soupy noodles, using the bucatini as a straw . . .


Yes, you read that correctly. My guilty pleasure is slurping up the soup, using the pasta tubing. Some people think that this is revolting, but since I am doing this in the privacy of my own home, I don't see what's wrong with it.

Is there something wrong with it? I mean, really?



2 comments:

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

Ha, ha, ha, I love your honesty! I'm sure there are a few of us out there who have drank milk from the carton or use used a finger to wipe the plate with!

Happy Slurping!

Marmaduke Scarlet said...

Ah yes, Mary. I have to confess to a secret carton drinking habit too!