orange milk liqueur a.k.a. baby jesus wee!

Christmas orange milk liqueur (a.k.a. Baby Jesus Wee!)
I should have posted this much earlier, because in theory you should be drinking this to toast the Baby Jesus. But if you get in quick, you'll have time to raise a glass or two on New Year's Eve. But if I'm honest, it actually a rather lovely drink all year around, with just four main ingredients; vodka, milk. oranges and sugar.
I made this last year and it was so good, so that I've made an even bigger batch of "Baby Jesus Wee" for this Christmas. My neighbour commented that perhaps she wouldn't be serving it to her vicar, although apparently he has a great sense of humour, so perhaps he'll be lucky enough to get some. It is divine mixed with Prosecco as a Christmas cocktail.

The first time I tasted this I was overwhelmed with memories of ice cream vans and English seaside holidays. This liqueur tasted distinctly like the Orange Split or Mivvi ice lollies of my childhood. That was until the final boozy hit bucked me out of my reveries. "What the hell is this? “I asked my friend who had just returned to England after several years living in Portugal. "Baby Jesus' piss" said my friend smugly, if inelegantly. "It's from the Azores." To which I had no answer, just holding out my glass for more.

orange milk liqueur, sitting in the morning dew! (with finely grated zest)
Revolting name aside, (and I have decided to rename it with the less unappetizing name of "wee" rather than "piss"), this liqueur is often made in the run-up before Christmas. The milk coagulates and you are left with a pale gold and slightly viscous liquid that tastes to me of summer holidays.
orange milk liqueur (with large pieces of orange zest)
Personally I think this tastes good all year around and is a great way to experiment. I used an orange and a lemon in this version, although I would love to try it with the beautifully scented rind of pomelos, or with blood oranges for peach-coloured results. Now I am wondering what it would be like with raspberries and lemon juice . . . summer heaven I suspect!
After 24 hours the mlk and vodka separate.
Just stir it up and keep on going for 8 days.)
Skill level: Easy

ingredients:
500ml full-fat milk
500g granulated sugar
500ml vodka
juice and zest of 2 oranges*
juice of 1 lemon

directions:

  1. * I have made this with finely grated zest or big chunks of zest (removing the bitter pith). I find the larger pieces of zest produce a deeper flavour.
  2. Gently heat the milk with the sugar until the sugar has dissolved.
  3. Add the vodka, orange and lemon juice together with the orange zest. Stir well.
  4. Decant to a large jar or jug. Seal well (clingfilm is fine). Store in a cool place.
  5. Every day give the jar a stir or a shake to mix up the liquids. The mixture will coagulate and you'll have a deep layer of a golden-yellow liqueur. Do this for at least a week, if not 2 weeks. Mine took 8 days.
  6. Line a sieve with cheesecloth (2 J-cloths will do) and strain the liquid into a bowl. You may want to do this more than once to catch all of the milk solids - your liqueur will be clearer too.
tips:
  • You could infuse the milk with chai tea spices such as fresh ginger, cinnamon, fennel seeds and cloves.
  • Add 50g of grated chocolate to the mixture.

No comments: