|coconut and coriander chutney|
I recently had a little leftover and discovered that it made a great stuffing for pork meatballs as well as a base for a marinade for chicken. It would be also love with some roast lamb. As ever, I do love a versatile recipe!
Skill level: Easy
100g fresh coconut
2cm fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
2 garlic cloves, very finely chopped
2 green chillies, finely chopped
4 tbsp water (optional)
1 tsp salt
a pinch of sugar
half tsp ground cumin
a handful of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
6 fresh mint leaves
- If you want to remove the brown inner skin of the coconut, do so with a sharp knife. I usually don't bother since firstly it adds to the nutty flavour. Secondly, since the carpal tunnel can affect my handling skills, I don't always want to take the risk of accidentally doing myself an injury with a sharp knife!
- Cut the coconut into chunks. Tip into a food processor. Blend to a fine paste. Tip into a bowl and set aside.
- Add the ginger, garlic and chillies to the food processor. Begin to blend.
- Add the lime juice, salt, sugar and cumin. Continue to blend. Add a splash of water to thin out if very thick.
- Add the chopped herbs. Blend again until the paste comes together. Add more water if necessary. Season to taste.