|baked egg and proscuitto in a bread roll|
Skill level: Easy
1 crusty bread roll
1-2 slices of prosciutto (or parma or serrano ham)
1 large egg
salt and freshly ground black pepper
a little grated cheese, such as emmental, gruyere or cheddar
a little chopped fresh basil (or parsley or chives), to serve
a few lightly roasted cherry tomatoes, halved
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C / Gas Mark 4.
- Douse the roll under the cold water tap for a few seconds.
- Slice off the top of the roll to create a lid, about 1 cm thick.
- Scrape out the bread inside the roll, leaving a wall about 1 cm thick. (I soak this small handful of bread in water and then leave it out for the birds, as advised by RSPB.)
- Brush the inside of the roll and the bread "lid" with a little melted butter.
- Drape the roll with ham, ensuring that it is tucked in well.
- Break an egg into the roll.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Sprinkle over a little grated cheese.
- Place the roll on a baking tray. Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes. The egg will set and the bread will be crisp. (Add the bread "lid" for the last 5 minutes.)
- Top with the chopped herbs and the bread "lid".
- Serve with a few roasted tomatoes.