|blood dipping sauce (or roasted pepper and tomato sauce)|
Skill level: Easy
2 red peppers, deseeded, roasted, skinned and chopped
1 shallot, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
2 plum tomatoes, deseeded and chopped
1 tsp sherry vinegar (or red wine vinegar)
1 tsp smoked paprika
salt, to taste
a pinch of sugar (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200C/Gas Mark 6.
- Place the peppers on a baking tray and roast for about 45 minutes until the skin has blackened. Transfer them to a plastic bag and leave to cool. (Placing them in the plastic bag makes it easier to peel the peppers.) Peel when cool enough to handle. Cut the peppers open and remove the white membrane and seeds. Roughly chop and set aside.
- Heat about 1 tbsp of olive oil in a small frying pan. Gently fry the shallot for 10 minutes until softened. Add the garlic and continue to fry for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring occasionally before adding the chopped tomato. Continue to cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Tip the contents of the pan into a blender, together with the roasted pepper. Blend until smooth.
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 1 tsp of sherry vinegar together with the smoked paprika.
- Adjust the seasoning to taste.
- Can be served either hot or at room temperature.