|socca (chickpea flour pancakes)|
Cut the socca into strips or wedges and they are incredibly moreish party nibbles. Use them as a base for simple toppings and you have a delicious gluten-free pizza or bruschetta.
Makes 2 omelette-sized pancakes
Skill level: Easy
1 cup chickpea flour
1 cup water
1 tsp salt
2-3 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for cooking
1 tsp dried chilli flakes
half tsp dried rosemary, crushed
- Combine chickpea flour and salt. Slowly whisk in water until a smooth batter forms. Set aside for about 1 hour to rest.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C / Gas Mark 6.
- Add 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil, the chilli flakes and rosemary. Stir to combine.
- Add about 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil to an ovenproof frying pan. (I only used 1 tablespoon as was using a small omelette pan.) Swirl it around so as much of the surface is covered in a light film of oil.
- When the oil is sizzling hot, ladle in the batter. (As I was using a small pan, I was able to use just over 1 ladle full of batter for my pancake, which equated to half the batter.)
- Immediately place in the oven and cook for 15 minutes until beginning to brown and crisp at the edges. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool for about 5 minutes, before cutting into wedges.
- If using as a pizza base, I remove the pancake from the oven about 12 minutes before the end of cooking. Top with my favourite toppings and return to the oven for about 4 to 5 minutes.