eggs fried with breadcrumbs and herbs

eggs fried with breadcrumbs and herbs
The first time I had these eggs I experienced something of a hallelujah moment; I couldn't make up my mind whether to get down on my knees to pray or just sing and dance around the kitchen. (I settled for singing and dancing, as I wasn't sure that, at my age, once down, I would easily make it back up again to devour the second egg I’d cooked.)

The idea of having a fried egg with a crispy coating seems odd, but I suspect it is a little bit of genius. I don't think I can ever go back to plain eggs ever again.

I also wish I could take credit for this idea but I have adapted it from the late Judy Rodgers' The Zuni Café Cookbook.


This recipe was also included in the most recent Readers' Recipe Swap in The Guardian newspaper, (subject EGGS) - worth a read for all the cracking egg ideas!

Serves 1 greedy person (me) or 2 if served with a salad
Skill level: Easy

ingredients:
3 generous tbsp dried breadcrumbs, from sourdough or artisan-type bread
salt and freshly ground black pepper
2-3 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp fresh herbs, roughly chopped (I used a mixture of parsley and thyme)
2 eggs
1-2 tsp sherry vinegar

directions:

  1. Combine the breadcrumbs with a little salt. Add about 1 tablespoon of oil to the breadcrumbs. Set aside to allow the crumbs to absorb the oil. You may need to add a little more oil depending on how absorbent the crumbs are.
  2. Break the eggs into separate small bowls or ramekins.
  3. Heat a small frying pan over a medium heat. Tip all of the saturated breadcrumbs into the pan. Spread them out so that they warm through evenly. Swirl (or stir) the pan a few times to prevent the crumbs from sticking as they begin to cook and dry out.
  4. When the crumbs begin to colour, remove about one quarter of them and set aside.
  5. Add one more tablespoon of oil and most of the herbs. (Keep a few herbs back to serve.) 
  6. Give the pan a quick swirl to ensure the crumbs and herbs are evenly spread.
  7. Tip the eggs directly onto the crumbs. Cook the eggs to taste. (I like the whites well-done and the yolks still very runny.)
  8. Transfer the eggs carefully onto a warmed plate.
  9. Add the vinegar to the frying pan to de-glaze.
  10. Pour the hot vinegar onto the eggs together with a sprinkling of crumbs and herbs.
  11. Serve with black pepper.
  12. Perfect with a green salad of bitter leaves.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I hear you when you say it's harder to get up once you're down! The eggs sound delicious, thanks for sharing.

Petra said...

Wow, I love the simplicity of this dish and it looks delicious! I can imagine the crispy crumbs with the soft egg, oh! A must try :)