a zesty plum and allspice crumble (puts a spring in my step!)

zesty plum and allspice nut crumble
So I am bouncing energetically around the kitchen singing "There is nothing like a plum" to the tune of South Pacific's "There is nothing like a dame" while my plum compote is simmering away on the stove. This is my version of multi-tasking and is guaranteed to raise my spirits, even if my adopted cat tries to put her paws over her ears, before stalking off disgruntled to find quieter shores.

But if life can be improved for a few lovelorn, jolly jack tars by day-dreaming of gorgeous girls, I am pretty sure that curvaceous juicy purple plums cooked down with aromatic allspice can do an awful lot for my beating heart too. 


There is simply nothing like a plum.

While still bopping about and singing, I realised that I probably didn't have enough flour nor almonds for my usual crumble topping. But what I did have was a box of Dorset CerealsHoney Granola which is full of enough good things to keep me happy - almonds, sunflower seeds, pecans, pumpkin seeds, oats, rye flakes and honey. I whizzed them up in the blender before adding the flour and butter. The end results really floated my boat.



A beautifully nutty crumble topping with aromatic, allspice infused plums. There really is nothing like an autumn fruit crumble. Nothing at all.

Serves 4
Skill level: Easy

ingredients:
25g butter
½ tsp vanilla extract (optional)
1 tsp ground allspice
100g soft light brown sugar
500g plums, stoned and quartered (under-ripe ones work best)
juice and zest of 1-2 x lemons (or 1 lemon and 1 lime)
crumble
200g plain flour
120g granola type cereal
160g butter
double cream, to serve

directions:
  1. Pre-heat the oven to 200C / Gas Mark 6.
  2. Melt the butter in a saucepan over a low heat. Add the allspice, sugar and vanilla extract (if using). Cook for about 1 to 2 minutes, stirring continuously, until the sugar dissolves.
  3. Add the plums, citrus juice and zest and cook for 3 to 4 minutes until the plums begin to break down and soften.
  4. Tip the mixture into an ovenproof dish. Set aside to cool.
  5. Make the crumble by putting the granola in a food processor, then giving it a good whizz. Add the flour and butter, then whizz up until you have the texture of rough breadcrumbs.
  6. Sprinkle the crumble mix loosely over the plums. I like a lot of crumble so it tends to be about 1 centimetre deep. Don't pat the crumble mix down though. Otherwise the plums underneath will be forced up and through the crumble as it is cooking – a sort of hot fruit geyser. You might like this but I find that the crumble becomes soggy and I like mine, well, crumbly!
  7. Bake for about 20 minutes until the topping is lightly browned.
  8. Set aside to cool for about 10 to 15 minutes. The crumble should be served warm rather than hotter than Hades!
  9. Serve with lashings of double cream.



3 comments:

Unknown said...

Plum crumble is quite simply the mutts nutz. Love your crumble topping. Gorgeous!

o cozinheiro este algarve said...

Indeed there is nothing like a plum!!!
The imagery of you bouncing round the kitchen is gorgeous as is the recipe-Oh my giddy YUMMMMM.

bellsofbelfastcity said...

This looks absolutely delicious - nothing like a plum crumble in Autumn. I'll be trying your recipe this weekend.

I have also turned to comfort food now the weather excuses it - in the form of honeycomb, dangerous...

http://bellsofbelfastcity.blogspot.co.uk/