a quick but soothing roast: lemon and herb crusted lamb rumps

lemon and herb crusted lamb rump
I don't often see lamb rump at my butchers. I have either led a sheltered life or more likely that I just wasn't looking for it. But a few days ago I returned home clutching half a pound of plump lamb steaks. In London butcher's terms that's "arfur pand" of meat. . . Arfur Pand, less a unit of measurement and more a Victorian music hall artist or cheeky costermonger - a name I must remember should I ever write a historical pastiche. And so back to the lamb . . .

Lamb rump is the sort of meat that I would order at a restaurant, but have never cooked at home. So this was a first for me, and I wanted to get it right. In getting it right, I wanted to keep things simple - less things for me to c*ck up! In keeping things simple, I went back to some kitchen basics - fresh herbs and breadcrumbs. It really was that easy and was simply delicious.

If I was serving this in spring or summer, I think it would go beautifully with a pea purée and roasted tomatoes, but as it was cold out there, we ate it with buttered leeks and a luxurious creamy potato dauphinoise.

Serves 2
Skill level: Easy

ingredients:
2 x lamb rumps (about 250g)
olive oil
60g fresh breadcrumbs
fresh herbs, finely chopped (I used a mixture of parsley with thyme and a little fresh oregano)
juice and zest of 1 x lemon
Dijon mustard

directions:

  1. Combine the breadcrumbs with the herbs and lemon zest. If the bread crumbs are particularly dry, moisten with some of the lemon juice.
  2. Cover the lamb rumps with Dijon mustard. You can be generous and make sure that all of the meat is covered!
  3. Coat the rumps in the herb breadcrumbs by rolling them in the mixture. You can either set them aside before cooking or leave them overnight in the fridge to firm up. They will need to be brought back to room temperature for at least 1 hour before cooking. Place on a baking sheet and drizzle over a little olive oil.
  4. Preheat the oven to 220C / Gas Mark 7.
  5. Roast the lamb rumps for 15 to 20 minutes for rare to medium rare and 20 to 25 minutes for well done. Wrap in foil and leave to rest for 5 minutes before slicing across the grain and serving.

tips:


No comments: