|a bloody marvellous bloody mary!|
Serves: 3 highball glasses
Skill level: Easy
Preparation time: 10 mins
300ml vodka (or a flavoured vodka such as chilli, orange, lemon or pepper, but adjust seasonings to taste)
a slug of dry sherry (or port)
a couple of dashes of Tabasco (or preferred hot sauce)
600ml tomato juice, chilled
¼ - ½ tsp lemon juice
a few shakes of celery salt
a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce
a good grinding of salt and black pepper
1 x celery stick
- Pour all ingredients, except for the celery sticks, into a tall pitcher.
- Use a celery stick to stir, leave it in the pitcher. This may be given an indolent stir or a vigorous shake; a very forgiving drink. (However, if allowed to stand, this will need to be stirred before each pouring).
- Garnish with a celery stick and serve over ice.
- Replace the sherry with port.
- Replace the ice cubes with frozen cherry tomatoes
- Add 1 teaspoon of horseradish sauce
- Cherry Marys: for a naughty cocktail party nibble, inject cherry tomatoes with the Bloody Mary mix (excluding the tomato juice) although your guests may become quietly pickled!
- Hangover cure: add a few drops of Fernet Branca.
a trip around the drinks cabinet:
Bloody Bishop: Sherry in equal measure to vodka
Bloody Fairy: Absinthe replacing the vodka.
Bloody Geisha: Sake replacing vodka.
Bloody Maria: Tequila replacing vodka.
Bloody Maureen: Guinness replacing vodka.
Bloody Molly: Irish Whisky replacing vodka.
Bloody Murder: Gin replacing vodka.
Bloody Scotsman: Scottish Whisky replacing vodka.
Virgin Mary or a Bloody Shame: all the trimmings but no alcohol.
The sounds of some cool, cool jazz and a little Ernest Hemingway or M.F.K. Fisher.