|peaches - John Smith|
Skill level: Easy
Preparation time: 20 mins
6 x peaches (white if you can get them)
6 x large plum tomatoes
6 x fresh basil leaves
juice of 1 x lemon
extra virgin olive oil (or a nut oil such as walnut oil)
salt and freshly ground pepper
- Pour boiling water over the peaches and let the stand for about 10 to 30 seconds, depending on how ripe the fruit is. Refresh under cold water and then skin.
- Repeat the process for the tomatoes. (A cross made with a sharp knife at the base of the tomatoes before immersing in boiling water can help to peel the skin off).
- Thinly slice the tomatoes and sprinkle over a little salt.
- Half the peaches and then cut into segments.
- To serve, take a large serving plate and place the slices of tomato and peach in overlapping circles, alternating the fruit.
- Use a ratio of about 3:1 olive oil to lemon juice (i.e. 3 tablespoons of olive oil to 1 tablespoon of lemon juice). Season to taste and drizzle over the peach and tomatoes.
- Tear the basil leaves and scatter over the salad.
- Add a grinding of black pepper and serve.