Skill level: Easy
2 x large courgettes, ends removed and cut lengthwise into slices (about the depth of a pound coin)
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp salt
200g halloumi, sliced across the short side into 1cm slices
1 x small red onion, cut into wedges
1 x small garlic clove, finely chopped
1 tbsp chopped mint leaves
1 x baguette or ciabatta rolls
- Preheat a grill to medium-high and clean and oil the grate. (Or preheat a grill pan over medium-high heat.)
- Marinate the courgettes in 1 tbsp of olive oil, the lemon juice and ½ tsp of salt. Set aside for about 30 minutes.
- In a separate dish, brush the sliced halloumi with 1 tsp of the olive oil.
- Peel the onion and cut it into 1 cm wedges. Marinate the onion in 1 tsp olive oil and the remaining ½ tsp salt.
- Grill the courgette until it has dark grill marks and is tender. Toss immediately in a bowl with the garlic and mint; then set aside.
- Grill the onion wedges, turning once, until they are slightly charred on the edges and softened.
- Grill the halloumi until softened and marked by the grill.
- Slice the baguette lengthwise, leaving one side slightly attached. Brush with the remaining teaspoon of the olive oil.
- Cut crosswise into four even segments.
- Distribute the grilled courgettes, halloumi and onions evenly among the sandwiches.