Skill level: Easy
Preparation time: 1 hr 20 mins
5 tbsp fruity olive oil
750g ripe pomodorino (baby plum) or cherry tomatoes
2 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp golden caster sugar
6 tbsp fresh green pesto (Either make your own, or buy a good quality fresh pesto, not the stuff in a jar. It always seems to taste rancid!)
225g soft rindless goats cheese
12 x fresh lasagne sheets
350g ripe vine tomatoes, sliced very thinly
3 tbsp freshly grated parmesan
fresh basil leaves, torn
- Preheat oven to 220C / Gas Mark 7.
- Oil a large shallow baking dish.
- Halve 250g of the baby plum or cherry tomatoes and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large frying or saucepan and add the rest of the whole baby plum or cherry tomatoes. Cover and cook over a moderately high heatfor about 5 minutes, shaking the pan every so often so that the tomatoes don't stick. They will eventually collapse.
- Add 1 teaspoon of sugar, the oregano and seasoning. Check the taste and if necessary add the rest of the sugar and more seasoning. Set aside.
- Beat the pesto into the goats cheese.
- Spoon half of the tomato sauce mixture onto the bottom of the baking dish.
- Lay out the fresh lasagne on a chopping board and spread the cheese mixture over each sheet of pasta.
- Put a layer of the sliced vine tomatoes on top of the cheese, then roll up the pasta to form a cannelloni tube and continue until all 12 sheets have been rolled up.
- Place the cannelloni tubes on top of the tomato mixture.
- Spooon over the rest of the tomato mixture.
- Scatter over the cherry tomato halves.
- Cover with foil and bake for 25 to 20 minutes.
- Uncover and sprinkle with cheese and bake for a further 10 minutes.
- To serve, sprinkle with torn basil leaves.